The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team

Welcome To The Skin Philosophy Forum: The Forum For Skin Care and Other Interests To Be Deciphered And To Enlighten

Discover the Philosophy of Skin Care: Exploration of the Nature, Causes, and Principles of Knowledge

Latest topics
» Aloe Vera for Anti - Aging
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 am by vairclair

» Anti-Aging Facial Mask
Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am by vairclair

» how can I make my stretchmarks go away??
Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 am by Emma3535

» 8 Unhealthy Habits to Kick in 2010
Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am by tisasmith

» New Way To Watch Online Movies
Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:45 am by shaunpolak

» Essentials Of Skin Care
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:16 am by David147

» skin care tips for beauty skin
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 am by David147

» Prevent Skin Aging
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:10 am by David147

» Anyone Tried Pink Grapefruit Facial Scrub?
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:07 am by David147

» Tips for applying mineral makeup with kabuki brush?
Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 am by David147

TSP AFFILIATES

Askusweb.com - Get Free Advice from Experts

Whiterskin.info - Learn how to lighten your skin safely.

Skinverse.com - Home remedies for acne, keloids, scars, melasma, and much more!

All Day Chemist - Indian prescription drug store best resource pharmaceutical sales.

Skinwhite.com - Dark Circles Under Eyes & Skin Whitening Treatments.

Dermacarefla.com- Laser hair removal.

The Conversation Chamber

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
First topic message reminder :

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PLEASE OBSERVE THE LINK ABOVE!

Light Skin, Bright Future?

On Good Morning America we took a look at the controversy over Sen. Harry Reid's remarks in terms of President Obama's agenda. And then on World News with Diane Sawyer, we looked at what some call the "unfortunate truth" of Reid's assertion that Americans prefer lighter-skinned African-Americans over darker-skinned African-Americans.

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
hey guys I thought this would be interesting to most:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A month ago, six African-American teenagers drowned in a single incident in Louisiana, prompting soul-searching about why so many young black Americans can't swim.

When 15-year-old DeKendrix Warner accidentally stepped into deeper water while wading in the Red River in Shreveport, he panicked.

JaTavious Warner, 17, Takeitha Warner, 13, JaMarcus Warner, 14, Litrelle Stewart, 18, Latevin Stewart, 15, and LaDarius Stewart, 17, rushed to help him and each other.

None of them could swim. All six drowned. DeKendrix was rescued by a passer-by.
Maude Warner, mother of three of the victims, and the other adults present also couldn't swim.

The US has almost 3,500 accidental drownings every year, almost 10 a day.

But according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the fatal drowning rate of African-American children aged five-14 is three times that of white children.

A recent study sponsored by USA Swimming uncovered equally stark statistics.

Just under 70% of African-American children surveyed said they had no or low ability to swim. Low ability merely meant they were able to splash around in the shallow end. A further 12% said they could swim but had "taught themselves".

The study found 58% of Hispanic children had no or low swimming ability. For white children, the figure was only 42%.

"It is an epidemic that is almost going unnoticed," says Sue Anderson, director of programmes and services at USA Swimming.

The swimming body would like all children to be taught to swim.

Parents' responsibility

"We would like it to be like seatbelts and bicycle helmets," says Ms Anderson.

But the situation in the US can vary hugely even within a single state.

Unlike the UK, where learning to swim is enshrined in the national curriculum except in Scotland, the ultimate responsibility in the US often lies with parents.

"I would love to make it a rule like they have in the UK," says Cullen Jones, a gold medallist in the freestyle 100m relay in Beijing, and a spokesman for USA Swimming's Make a Splash campaign.

"It isn't a requirement, it isn't a priority in the US."

Jones's mother took him to swimming lessons after he nearly drowned at a theme park aged five. By eight he was swimming competitively.

The Make a Splash campaign is targeting all non-swimmers and their parents but there is a particular focus on ethnic minority families.

Fear factor

Many black parents are not teaching their children to swim.

Some might assume the fundamental reasons would be lack of money for swimming lessons or living in areas where there were no pools, but the reality is more complex.

"Fear of drowning or fear of injury was really the major variable," says Prof Carol Irwin, a sociologist from the University of Memphis, who led the study for USA Swimming.

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
Typically, those children who could not swim also had parents who could not swim.

"Parents who don't know how to swim are very likely to pass on not knowing how to swim to their children," says Ms Anderson.

In focus groups for the study, Prof Irwin said many black parents who could not swim evinced sentiments like: "My children are never going to learn to swim because I'm scared they would drown."

The parents' very fear of their children drowning was making that fate more likely.

The major reason behind the problem could lie in the era of segregation says Prof Jeff Wiltse, author of Contested Waters: A Social History of Swimming Pools in America.

"The history of discrimination… has contributed to the drowning and swimming rates," says Prof Wiltse.

In his work he identified two periods of a boom in swimming rates in the US - in the 1920s and 1930s when recreational swimming became popular and the 1950s and 1960s when the idea of swimming as a sport really took off.

MAHARANI

Privileged
What a sad story..........it is deep to think that the young man who initially fell in, triggering the others to rush in to rescue him, ended up being saved. And so heart warming that even though none of them could swim, it didn't prevent any of them from going in to try and help, though it ended so tragically. sad sad sad........

They are correct that in the UK, swimming comes as part of the curriculum and I remember having to go every week. It is funny to think that I took it for granted, as I am pretty sure that my Mum would not have had the time to teach me and my siblings, on top of the fact that at the time, she could not swim herself. She did learn much later in in life but is still not the strongest of swimmers. I guess another thing that I should be grateful that the UK has given me the opportunity to learn.

Ondine

Accepted
Accepted
In most commonwealth nations (Canada incl) swimming is a part of the phys ed curriculum in school: even in urban areas, kids are marched to the community pools & taught to swim. I can't remember not being able to swim!

Part of the problem is that no poorer inner city public schools have pools in them. Also, urban communities where high concentrations of Black kids & Hispanic ones live do not have public pools (or indoor ones for when winter hits) where the kids get to swim & have lessons. this is a disgrace! In Mtl, there is no higher incidence of black kids drowning. From pre-K, they go to the pool with school and day camp where they're not just left to wade & splash but they get swimming lessons. Most kids can swim well by age 5 or 6.

Those drowning incidents are so sad & maddening because they're preventable!

MAHARANI

Privileged
Again, I am having to think about the fact that I have more than 4 swimming pools that are in close proximity to where I live. One is actually 2 minutes from my door. Again something that I have totally taken for granted........

MAHARANI

Privileged
I am ceratinly not a moaner, but clearly I do not take time to show gratitude for all the things that I have available to me. So thanks enticing and ondine for reminding me.....LONDON is a blessed place to be for the most part.

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
MAHARANI wrote:I am ceratinly not a moaner, but clearly I do not take time to show gratitude for all the things that I have available to me. So thanks enticing and ondine for reminding me.....LONDON is a blessed place to be for the most part.

d**n right! thats why I wanna stay in the US... and I'm trying so hard to do so...people born and raised in developed countries most times have no idea how fortunate they are! the oppurtunities presented here in the US are a foolish dream for people in most places in the caribbean! like Canada and the UK the US is one of the best places to live..and it kills me when I hear people say "I hate this country" omg...its not perfect, its not fair but my god, as illusionistic as it maybe YOU HAVE YOUR FREEDOM! YOU HAVE RIGHTS AND OPPORTUNITIES THAT PEOPLE IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES WILL NEVER EVER HAVE!
and I've been to the UK, Canada and currently

I live in the US...and apart from accents and currences everything is pretty much the same...you're spending money endlessly and forever working...whats the difference! life's not easy anywhere and some times you need some help but thats it.

I concider my self very very fortunate to be here where i acctually have the right to lighten my skin if I want to. I'd die if I had to go back to the caribbean.

ask for learning to swim, I spent my early childhood on and island in the caribbean, swimming was all there was TO DO! my sister and I are great swimmers but my brother can't swim...I think the reason why statistics are so high where people of color are concerned is becuase they're just bearly getting by financially and swiming is not high on the list of priorities, survival(getting food however unhealthy it maybe) takes precedence over swiming any day.

also for some reason swimming is seen as a luxury! "you dont need to learn to swim! just stay away from the water! keep your feet on the land!" they say!

Hello! 70 percent of this planet is water! this planet could flood at any time and I for one refuse to sink!

KIM

Valued Contributor
Privileged
Valued ContributorPrivileged
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

KIM

Valued Contributor
Privileged
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
this is very very sad....but he himself doesn't even believe he's beautiful with comments like "light skinned people get made fun of too but for me its something I cant help."

"I dont think I look all that handsome"

"I've seen some dark skinned people who are beatiful even more beautiful than a white woman"- thats says A TON!!!

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
this is sooo sad.....brings tears to my eyes...omg

KIM

Valued Contributor
Privileged
Some adults really need to take a close look at their behaviour. That colour-struck step mother who thought it was funny to suggest to him to go wash his face, should be soooo ashamed of herself. I bet she doesn't have a clue how she made that poor guy feel OR probably even cares.

I have never been put down because of the colour of my skin but I can only imagine how it must feel, especially when it seems to come at you from all areas of your life, at school, at home, when you are out with your friends. So what do you do ?? I have been to boards where there is a level of desperation in order to lighten and it may be that events like this may be for some the fuel behind it. Trying to fit in to what is considered "ok" and remove what I see as straight bullying is what is trying to be achieved. It is truly sad. and for the record he is definitely not UGLY

Ondine

Accepted
Accepted
One young woman who I recall from another forum was desperate to lighten by a good 4 shades (her words)in order to please & be accepted by the future MIL that she was supposed to meet shortly. Her fiance wasn't bothered by her complexion at all (good for him!) but she knew, as an Indian woman, that the MIL wouldn't like her as dark as she was. It can get pretty extreme in some communities.

rainbow

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
That clip is exactly why this world is so messed up. People need to quit puttin others down in order to make themselves feel good. Underneath it, these are people with serious low self esteem who think that pointing out what they think are other peoples "flaws" reinforces somehow that they are better.

MAHARANI

Privileged
I always say that someone with no self esteem issues will not have the need to place others beneath them with unnecessary and hurtful comments. You already know who you are and you do not need for this to be reinforced by disparaging others.

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
hey guys I thouht this would be interesting to most!...

very interesting...omg can you feel his pain..and some of the comments...oh my

beautifulskin

Visitor
Visitor
Enticing that is a shame but it is the truth. Unfortunately I do not think that "word" will cease to be used when referring to black people.

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
thats so sad though...wow...

KIM

Valued Contributor
Privileged
It just goes to show how it all depends on where you live. That horrible word never gets said in London. Well I have never heard it over here and Thank God for that !! It is just such an idiotic way to address one another. More people like him should express their dislike of that term. Terrible terrible terrible!!!!!!!

MAHARANI

Privileged
KIM is correct that it is not a regular term that I hear over here in the Uk and I think I would be shocked if I did. I have never liked the term and cannot even understand why it even began as a way of speaking to one another. I am glad that he is making a stand about it, as clearly it is something that upsets him and is just so unnecessary. Why the need to call anybody anything apart from their name or something that has a more positive connotation.

rainbow

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
Hearing that word just sounds plain ignorant to me. I don't care who says it, your friend, a Rapper, whoever..it is just plain stupid

Enticing

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
hey guys!!! i thought this would be interesting to most! let me know what you think!

yogi

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
You know I wasn't too sure about Tyra before this. I don't watch America's next Top Model but I have seen some of her shows and felt that there was a kinda looking down on you persona coming from her. I think this clip has shown her in a slightly different light. Maybe there is a genuine individaul in there.

rainbow

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
Never been a fan of her. There is just something about her that makes me not wanna trust her for some reason. Can't put my finger on what it is but I don't believe anything that comes out of her mouth. You know you meet some people who say someting and you feel it is choreographed to be what you are supposed to hear,well that's her for me.

GOTHQUEEN

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
I guess we never get to see the real person when they are just celebs we see on the TV. I can't tell you the amount of times I have thought "ooh he/she seems really nice and then read or seen something that made me realise they are not what they seem. It can also go the other way where you may think the person is a total sh*t and then realise they are a sweetie.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

•  

Free forum | © PunBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum