The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team
The Skin Philosophy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome To The Skin Philosophy Forum: The Forum For Skin Care and Other Interests To Be Deciphered And To Enlighten

Discover the Philosophy of Skin Care: Exploration of the Nature, Causes, and Principles of Knowledge

Latest topics
» Aloe Vera for Anti - Aging
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 am by vairclair

» Anti-Aging Facial Mask
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am by vairclair

» how can I make my stretchmarks go away??
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 am by Emma3535

» 8 Unhealthy Habits to Kick in 2010
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am by tisasmith

» New Way To Watch Online Movies
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 2:45 am by shaunpolak

» Essentials Of Skin Care
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:16 am by David147

» skin care tips for beauty skin
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 am by David147

» Prevent Skin Aging
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:10 am by David147

» Anyone Tried Pink Grapefruit Facial Scrub?
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:07 am by David147

» Tips for applying mineral makeup with kabuki brush?
Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 am by David147

TSP AFFILIATES

Askusweb.com - Get Free Advice from Experts

Whiterskin.info - Learn how to lighten your skin safely.

Skinverse.com - Home remedies for acne, keloids, scars, melasma, and much more!

All Day Chemist - Indian prescription drug store best resource pharmaceutical sales.

Skinwhite.com - Dark Circles Under Eyes & Skin Whitening Treatments.

Dermacarefla.com- Laser hair removal.

The Conversation Chamber

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
First topic message reminder :

HQ and RA LIGHTENING FAQS:

I want to know what my skin may look like if I use Hydroquinone (Hq) 4% and Retin-A (Ra)? Will I have the "bleached out" look that some people get with some bleaching products or will I be able to retain the appearance of my natural undertones?

Yes you can. I, as well as many others, have been able to do this. You have to be cautious not to lighten too quickly so that you will not have that "bleached out" look where you undertones are masked. Also, adding a good quality vitamin C (ascorbic acid or other quality vitamin C forms) serum can be added to your regimen and will help give your skin a lovely glow and will help your undertones to be more pronounced. And always use an effective sunblock high in spf to prevent the skin to redarken and protect it from UVA and UVB rays.

Where can I apply and not apply Hq and Ra?

Personally speaking, I just apply a little on the tip of my finger and apply it to the outer areas of my ears, behind the ears, neck, back of neck (including hairline) and any other area tha I am trying to lighten. I do not apply retin-a to the back of ears or neck because it burns and the skin is already quite thin there. Hq will lighten it just fine on it's own, but yes still apply sunblock there. Only places where you don't use either is areas such as mucous membranes areas: nose/nostril areas, in mouth and intimate parts, and not in the ears :-S. If theres an area your not sure about, feel free to ask.

If people begin to ask me how and why I am getting so light and fair, what should I say?

You can try to avoid this if you possibly can until things are even. But, some situations may be exposed and the only thing you can do while currently in the lightening process is to say your top half is paler because you dont get much sun or say nothing (best I can think of). While lightening DRAMATICALLY such as a few shades+, I remember asking about this situation. Well, people who know you will begin to notice. I usually do not try explaining myself unless asked...because that is my right and I do not pry in their business and ask them. But, when they do ask as people are naturally nosy by nature, I usually respond by saying that I have been going to the spa or dermatologist and getting acne and exfoliation treatments such as AHAs and so on...or that I am using exfoliators to help even my skin and help remove my discolorations, acne, and blemishes.

In which I am using exfoliators such as AHAs (latic acid). I'm also working on the appearance of my acne scars, stayin clear from acne breakouts, removing my blemishes and scars....I'm just lightening overall as well. Which is equally fine since people also tan their skin which can be more dangerous and even cancerous. Once you feel that you have reached your desired goal, you'll have to maintain your results (and this is with any lightener). Why? Because the skin cells are replaced on average every 28 days and will return to it's genetic color. Maintaining with an effective skin lightener 2-3 times weekly, an exfoliator, and always use sunblock every day before going out the same way we must brush our teeth daily to main our pearly whites.

Is Hq and Ra Expensive?

It is possible to use gels and cremes that cost under $100 and still achieve your results without paying really high prices for them. They can be purchased through certain reliable online websites usually between $2-15, plus shipping and handling. Hq and Retin-a are only one of the few methods to lighten the skin, as there are other methods as well.

Does Hydroquinone have steroids &/or mercury in them?

Hydroquinone is a chemical of itself and does not contain steroids or heavy metals. There are many products on the market that contains hq along with other ingredients such as steroids, mercury, &/or lead which may help increase lightening results but at a cost which may not be reversable.

What do people mean when they say "Hq Abuse"?

You can get quality hq and ra and it may work for you. I am currently using them now and I'm lightening quite well. Yes, this can be used when used safely, properly and not abused.

Examples of Hydroquinone abuse are:
-using hq in very high amounts
-knowingly or unknowingly used along with steroid or mercury products
-not using a quality sunblock high in spf every day (to prevent UVA/UVB exposure)
-not limiting the amount of sun exposure: when sun is limited and sunblock used you have a greater chance of continuing to achieve lightening results, maintain your results, and not causing your results to erverse and redarken
-applying hq several times a day on regular basis. Hq only need to be applied 1-2x daily
-Not using an exfoliator on a conistent basis
-If you happen to have an allergic reaction to hq or your skin is too sensitive to hq and you still continue to use this, like many other things your skin's condition may become worse. You'll have to discontinue use shortly if your skin is unable to tolerate hq and skin's condition becoming worse.

**There are several other factors of hq abuse, these are only a few to avoid (which also applies to all skin lighteners and exfoliators in general) in order to help increase your success in lightening your skin**

Do I have to use very high amounts of Hq to get good results? Are low amounts of Hq really effective?

No, there is no need to use very high amounts of Hq (such as 10%, 20%, or higher) on your skin and can actually cause damage the skin. You can use Hq 4% along with retin-a and still reach at the least close to your goal if you stick to this regimen, following the proper instructions, and over time with patience you can acheive this. This is the amount that dermatologists prescribe to their patients. There is no need to either use Hq 10%, and the high percentage hq can place your skin at higher risks of being damaged.

Can I just jump and use the highest strength Retin-a 0.1%, instead of having to use the lower strengths in order to get great results?

It is BEST to start off with a low strength of retin-a if you are not accustomed to using exfoliators, have sensitive skin, and hq has the tendency of making the skin more sensitive as well. Everyone' ki is different, so everyone will not be able to equally tolerate high strenth or mid strenth retin-a. Some people are not able to tolerate retin-a at all, and will have to use another exfoliant alternative.

The strengths are 0.025% being the mildest, 0.05% being the general strength used (I use this) and 0.1% being the strongest and not recommended to be used first, as the skin should build tolerance with retinoids and any other forms of exfoliators. Immediately jumping to the highest maximum strength can effect some people's skin in a negative way and cause burns and skin darkening due to the skin not given the chance to build tolerance. Not recommended.

Is Hq/Ra the ONLY way that I am able to lighten my skin?

Although this route is working for some, as well as myself, as well as many Hq negatives are myths and hq can be safely used....hq is not your only option.

Can I just apply sunblock sometimes and not all of the time when going out, since I am already lightening my skin?

ALWAYS use a good sunblock high in spf (use at least 55 or higher, prefer spf 70-100). Good brand is Neutrogena with Helioplex)

Last edited by Golden Girl on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

https://theskinphilosophy.forumotion.net

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
By the way Amyyy, it sounds like you are intending to move on from the MQ, once it has finished, is that correct?

Kandiluv

Kandiluv
Accepted
Accepted
Maharani how much taxes are chatged when you order overseas?from cheapest to highest that you paid?

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
Overall I have paid anything from £11 to £30. These charges only happen when the sellers have indicated the value of the goods. If they state the item is a gift or quote a nominal amount ,then customs do not levy a charge. Companies like Fair & Flawless are quite savvy about this now, as years ago, I was regularly charged but in more recent years, nothing, as they are careful about what they state.

Sometimes you can come across a helpful company who will quote what you ask, if you contact them.

Indigo

Indigo
Visitor
Visitor
I ordered the RA/ HQ from ADC. I use HQ already but I hope the RA will help with exfoliation have not received the products yet but I will keep everyone up to date on my progress if there is any.

Indigo

Indigo
Visitor
Visitor
I ordered the RA/ HQ from ADC. I use HQ already but, I hope the RA will help with exfoliation. I have not received the products yet but I will keep everyone up to date on my progress if there is any.

Amyyy

Amyyy
Visitor
Visitor
1. With the Melalite 30 gm Hq 4% from ADC I say I had lightened up to about 3.5 shades, maybe 4 from the photos taken.

2. This depends on the individual, since our skin is all different and lightens at different lengths of time and not a 100% guarantee that this works for all. But, for me I did go through what I call an "ugly phase" due to the peeling in different areas faster than others (I was patchy for up to 2 months), redness, dry skin so I had to moisturize to soothe any irritation and itchiness. Moisturized before I went out of the house to help minimize the peeling.

I began to see some lightening around 2 to 2.5 weeks. Within a month, I saw more results. So, each month there was more lightening. But, this isn't a real fast lightener where you see results in days, I had to prolong my patience and positive attitude about it as the Hq/Ra regimen works in stages, gradual yet consistent with lightening.

3. Nadinola Extra Strength (Hq 3%)I first purchased a pack (which contained 3 jars) from Amazon, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Now, I just get it from Walmart and other local shops carried it(I'm currently in the U.S.). Since your in the UK, Maharani may be able to assist you with finding a location of where to get it.

I had used the A-Ret (Tretinoin Gel USP) If your skin is not so familiar with stronger ecxfoliants such as retin-a or AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids), I suggest starting with Retin-a 0.025% or Adapalene which are milder forms of Vitamin A so that your skin can adapt. Another option is you can use the Carotein Nourishing & Fairness Cream [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] which is rich in vitamin A, Carrot Extract, AHA, and Vitamins B, C, and E.

1.The tubes look quite small, how many of each did you order

2.I'm going to be ordering some stuff today so hopefully I will have this by next week

Retin -A TG-USP
Melalite 30gm
Nadinola Extra strength

Am I missing anything else ?

Amyyy

Amyyy
Visitor
Visitor

The Nadinola, I got from an online store. Can't find the details at the moment but will let you know when I find them.

Thank you.

MAHARANI wrote:By the way Amyyy, it sounds like you are intending to move on from the MQ, once it has finished, is that correct?

The MQ ?

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
Sorry Amyyy, that message was meant for Allure !! Ooops !!

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
Indigo wrote:I ordered the RA/ HQ from ADC. I use HQ already but I hope the RA will help with exfoliation have not received the products yet but I will keep everyone up to date on my progress if there is any.

Indigo,

I think you will see a difference once you incorporate the RA into your regime. If you have not used it before, be aware that you may go through the "ugly" phase, where your skin purges as the Retin A pushes out what I call any "gunk" to the surface so you may find that you get pimples where you have not had them before, but this phase, if you do see it, will pass . Make sure that you start off at a low percentage, so as not to cause any irritation to your skin by starting too high. You will probably experience some peeling as well, though as you skin adjusts to the Retin A, this may lessen.And I am sure that you already use it, but Sunblock is paramount. Look forward to hearing your updates with it, when you get it !!!

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
Hello all.

I nust say golden you really hit the ground running with the hq info lol.

I'm stuck between the hq and ret a or the mq. As of now I got some f&w for my face,neck, and arms and will see how that goes. But I do believe I want to go with hq. I hve heard it may cause acne and was wondering if proactive would be ok to use? It worked to clear up any acne I've ever had and now I never break out.

I hear you should stop using hq after six months but I don't want to lose my lighter shade so is it o.k. if I continue to use it?
I want to get 4-5 shades lighter and as of now am a brown to medium brown color. I would like to be tan or an olive complexion.

36Considering or Currently Using Hq and Retin-A? Here Are A Few Quick Facts - Page 2 Empty Hi Alizee Love Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:26 pm

Dominicana

Dominicana
Accepted
Accepted
Alizee love wrote:Hello all.

I'm stuck between the hq and ret a or the mq. As of now I got some f&w for my face,neck, and arms and will see how that goes. But I do believe I want to go with hq. I hve heard it may cause acne and was wondering if proactive would be ok to use? It worked to clear up any acne I've ever had and now I never break out.

I hear you should stop using hq after six months but I don't want to lose my lighter shade so is it o.k. if I continue to use it?
I want to get 4-5 shades lighter and as of now am a brown to medium brown color. I would like to be tan or an olive complexion.

What complexion did you start with, and how did you acheive this lighter toned brown you have now?

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
Dominicana wrote:

What complexion did you start with, and how did you acheive this lig
hter toned brown you have now?

Well light brown is my natural complexion but when I was younger I had an olive complexion and I wish to achieve that shade or lighter. At thae time I wrote that message I used fair and white which I believe worked but as I did not take pictures I can't be 100% sure. I do know I got darker and fast once I stopped and I think I'm slightly darker now but its summer in California so I could be wrong.

I have decided upon hq/ret a 0.05% but am not sure if I will wait till it is not as hot or simply do my body and my face later. I am alos think of using makari after I have used hq if I do not receive the results I want with the hq.

Dominicana

Dominicana
Accepted
Accepted
Alizee love wrote:
Dominicana wrote:

What complexion did you start with, and how did you acheive this lig
hter toned brown you have now?

Well light brown is my natural complexion but when I was younger I had an olive complexion and I wish to achieve that shade or lighter. At thae time I wrote that message I used fair and white which I believe worked but as I did not take pictures I can't be 100% sure. I do know I got darker and fast once I stopped and I think I'm slightly darker now but its summer in California so I could be wrong.

I have decided upon hq/ret a 0.05% but am not sure if I will wait till it is not as hot or simply do my body and my face later. I am alos think of using makari after I have used hq if I do not receive the results I want with the hq.

Thanks for the explanation. I just wish it were more simple than this. I honestly do not want to spend my entire life doing this, but I feel as long as you're looking to achieve a compelxion that is yours naturally, like getting rid of years of tanning then you shouldn't have to do this your entire life, right?

I honestly don't know exactly what complexion I am. I say around Gabrielle Unions, but everyone says I'm not her complexion, but lighter, but I'm darker, still. So, who knows, parts of my body is like hers, like my lower legs, but then many parts are like 4-5 shades lighter.

It's like, how do yoiu even all of that out?

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
I know what you mean not wanting to do this forever but from what I know you will have to maintane your new shade so you won't have to use as much. Monobenzone is th only thing I know to work permanently but it depigmentates you and once you start you can't stop, once you gain access there is a thread in the private section that goes into greater detail on mono.

For evening out the skin tone I would exfoliate and moisturize so as not to dry your skin. I use St. Ives but I know some use Cetaphil facial cleanser or the lotion and both are good for the skin. There is a thread around here which shows the skin tones and you can see where you belong.

yes___I mean no

yes___I mean no
Councilor
Privileged
CouncilorPrivileged
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the skin chart

Dominicana

Dominicana
Accepted
Accepted
That complexion chart doesn't reflect my complexion, actually, it doesn't reflect a lot of people's complexion. It's very limited, but thanks for that anyway.

It's very hard to find your exact complexion even on another person sometimes, and especially with brown people, and I mean real brown people with the color brown in their shade (LOL).

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
I know what you mean, brown people, those of African descent especially, come in numerous shades of brown lol. I would say I'm in the light brown but am slightly lighter then that but not really tan

Dominicana

Dominicana
Accepted
Accepted
Yes, I have shades on my close to my avatar (Ciara), and then I have Gabrielle Unions complexion on my arms and possibly back. My stomach is lighter than hers but darker than Ciara's. Who the heck knows, I just want one color. (LOL)

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
Well I would think your stomach, if sun doesn't touch it, is probably your natural color but I can't say for sure

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
Well my stomach is much darker than my arms and I know that this is a common problem with women of colour. Same with areas like the butt and the back, which can be much darker than the rest of the body.

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
My stomache is also much darker than my arms, but I never show it...I guess just one of those places where melanin is naturally concentrated..same for the rear end..lol.

https://theskinphilosophy.forumotion.net

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
I will admit my conducadunk tongue is slightly darker but not my stomach and my feet are darn near white Shocked

Anyone else have feet like that?

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
Sorry....... What's that ???

Alizee love

Alizee love
Aristocracy
Aristocracy
What's what? Condunkadunk? I spelt it wrong but it refers to your booty or bootay *snaps fingers*

MAHARANI

MAHARANI
Privileged
Oh, never heard of that term before, Miss snappy !!! LOL

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

•  

Free forum | Society and Culture | Beauty, Celebrities, Fashion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com