The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team
The Skin Philosophy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome To The Skin Philosophy Forum: The Forum For Skin Care and Other Interests To Be Deciphered And To Enlighten

Discover the Philosophy of Skin Care: Exploration of the Nature, Causes, and Principles of Knowledge

Latest topics
» Aloe Vera for Anti - Aging
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 am by vairclair

» Anti-Aging Facial Mask
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am by vairclair

» how can I make my stretchmarks go away??
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 am by Emma3535

» 8 Unhealthy Habits to Kick in 2010
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am by tisasmith

» New Way To Watch Online Movies
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 2:45 am by shaunpolak

» Essentials Of Skin Care
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:16 am by David147

» skin care tips for beauty skin
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 am by David147

» Prevent Skin Aging
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:10 am by David147

» Anyone Tried Pink Grapefruit Facial Scrub?
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:07 am by David147

» Tips for applying mineral makeup with kabuki brush?
How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 am by David147

TSP AFFILIATES

Askusweb.com - Get Free Advice from Experts

Whiterskin.info - Learn how to lighten your skin safely.

Skinverse.com - Home remedies for acne, keloids, scars, melasma, and much more!

All Day Chemist - Indian prescription drug store best resource pharmaceutical sales.

Skinwhite.com - Dark Circles Under Eyes & Skin Whitening Treatments.

Dermacarefla.com- Laser hair removal.

The Conversation Chamber

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Empty How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:25 am

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged

How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin

- In healthy adults, Vitamin C raises glutathione levels in the red blood cells and lymphocytes.

- Glutathione helps determine the balance of light and dark pigments (pheomelanin and eumelanin) in our skin. L-cysteine and the TYRP1 enzyme also play a part in this balance. (Not to get confused with the glutathione pills, which are ineffective in lightening the skin. But, the Glutathione that our bodies naturally produce).

* Taking high doses of Vitamin C (1,000 – 3,000 mgs) can help to lighten skin over time.Since you’re reading this page, you’ve probably already asked yourself: can taking Vitamin C really lighten your skin? The short answer is: Yes, it can. But how exactly does Vitamin C help lighten our skin? The answer to that question is a bit longer, but reading on will be worth it in the end (I promise!). If you don’t have the time to read about just how taking high doses of Vitamin C can lighten your skin, just bookmark this page to read later.

What is Vitamin C?

Before I go on to explain what Vitamin C has to do with our skin color, I think it’s important to know just what Vitamin C is first. Vitamin C (also called Ascorbic Acid) is a water-soluble vitamin, and is needed by our bodies to form collagen in bones, cartilage, muscle and blood vessels. We get Vitamin C from fruits and vegetables, particularly citrus fruits like lemons, limes and oranges. It is also readily available in pill or liquid supplements. Although it is a vitamin, Vitamin C is also an antioxidant. This means it can neutralize free radicals which would otherwise damage our skin and other organs. And since it is soluble in water, Vitamin C works both inside and outside of our cells to combat this free radical damage.

Vitamin C And Our Skin

The skin is the largest organ in the human body and collagen is the building blocks. Our skin benefits greatly from Vitamin C because of its unique collagen-forming properties. Scientists have found that collagen protein requires Vitamin C for the molecules to achieve the best configuration possible. Vitamin C prevents collagen from becoming weak and susceptible to damage (a process is called hydroxylation). Vitamin C also increases the level of the procollagen messenger RNA. It is also needed to “export” the procollagen molecules out of our cells and into the extracellular spaces. In other words, Vitamin C is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity of our collagen. Vitamin C also helps to heal any wounds we might have. Studies have shown that when Vitamin C was given to burn victims in high doses, it reduces the transfer of blood and waste products into the tissues (capillary permeability). This could be partly due to Vitamin C’s scavenging effect on free radicals (its antioxidant properties).

In another study, when Vitamin C (2,000 mg) and natural Vitamin E (1,000 IU) were given to 20 men and women, their resistance to sunburn increased by 20% after just 8 days. They had lower levels of inflammation and skin damage compared to the placebo group, which became more sensitive to sunburn.

Vitamin C is one antioxidant that boosts two more – glutathione and Vitamin E
Have you ever heard of that saying, one thing leads to another? This is especially true with Vitamin C. This is because taking Vitamin C doesn’t just increase the Vitamin C levels in our blood, it also increases two more very important antioxidants – glutathione (a major antioxidant) and Vitamin E (a fat-soluble antioxidant).

Higher Vitamin C Levels Boosts Glutathione And Vitamin E
GlutathioneVitamin E
Glutathione is our bodies’ most prevalent antioxidantVitamin E is probably the most important fat-soluble antioxidant
It plays an important role in detoxing our bodiesIt protects our cells from oxidation by reacting with fatty radicals
Glutathione is a tripeptide and made up of 3 amino acids:

1. Glycine
  2. Glutamic acid
  3. Cysteine
Vitamin E is a group of compounds made up of tocopherols and tocotrienols. Tocopherols act as antioxidants in human beings.
Glutathione converts into glutathione peroxidase, an important enzyme which prevents oxidative damageOur liver actually forms the Vitamin E in our blood, but it needs food sources with Vitamin E to do so
Our bodies make its own glutathione supply.
Taking glutathione pills and supplements does not raise the glutathione levels in our blood.
Good food sources of Vitamin E include:

1. Wheat germ oil
  2. Almonds
  3. Sunflower seeds, sunflower oil
  4. Hazelnuts
  5. Peanut butter

Vitamin C Boosts Glutathione Levels In The Blood

Vitamin C and glutathione have a unique relationship. Vitamin C reduces glutathione back to the active form. In its active form, glutathione will regenerate vitamin C from its oxidized state. Compounds that have Vitamin E activity (tocopherols) also rely on Vitamin C to regenerate back to its active form.

Why is the link between Vitamin C and glutathione levels important in skin lightening?

It’s important because scientists have found out that the way our skin balances between its lighter pigments (pheomelanin) and darker pigments (eumelanin) depends on glutathione, L-cysteine and the TYRP1 enzyme. Since Vitamin C has been scientifically proven to boost gluthathione levels in the blood, we can say that Vitamin C helps to lighten skin color.

1) Glutathione
Glutathione is found in almost all raw fruits and vegetables. Cooking destroys most glutathione, but that doesn’t really matter. Because although glutathione is found in many fruits, vegetables, and meats, our stomachs and intestines ability to absorb glutathione is very poor.

[ Scam Alert! ]
Speaking of which, please do not be fooled by “gluthathione skin whitening pills”. Glutathione pills and supplements cannot, I repeat, cannot raise the glutathione levels in your blood. These are sold by scam artists preying on the desperate. They will only serve to make you poorer.

[ Scam Alert! ]
To raise the glutathione levels in our blood, it is better to eat foods that is high in glutamine instead (Not By Taking Glutathione Pills),
such as lean meats, eggs, wheat germ, whey protein and whole grains. These will stimulate the liver so you can produce more glutathione naturally. Glutamine is one of the known precursors of gluthathione production. High doses of Vitamin C will also boost our natural glutathione levels, so supplementation with Vitamin C is important if you want to lighten your skin. Glutathione and Vitamin C show a strong functional interdependence in vivo.

Note:You can be deficient in glutathione if you take Tylenol (acetaminophen) regularly or in large amounts. Doctors treat emergency cases of acetaminophen toxicity with high doses of N-aceytlycysteine (NAC), which raises glutathione levels in the blood.

2) L-Cysteine
L-cysteine is an amino acid found in most high-protein foods including yogurt and whey protein. Good vegetarian sources comes are onions, garlic and broccoli . The L-cysteine derived from N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) helps to boost our liver’s production of glutathione. L-cysteine also helps synthesize proteins, taurine, coenzyme A, and inorganic sulfate.

3) The TYRP1 enzyme (or Tyrosinase-Related Protein 1)
Sounds scary, I know! But all you really need to know is that this is the genetic part of the whole skin lightening discussion. Our TYRP1 gene provides instructions for making the TYRP1 enzyme. The functions of this enzyme are still unclear but it is involved in the production of melanin. It’s likely that this is where our genes come into play in determining the color of our skin. Mutations in the TYRP1 gene has been linked with oculocutaneous albinism. It is very important to note that, individually, none of these factors decides our skin color. All three are needed to play a part.

Enemies of Vitamin C: Pollution, Smoking, Alcohol, Diabetes
If you smoke and drink, chances are your Vitamin C levels are lower than people who don’t. And while we’re at it, do you live in a polluted area? That’ll do it too. Studies have shown that drinking large quantities of alcohol will lower the amount of Vitamin C in your blood plasma and make you excrete vitamin C through urination. Smoking and general pollution will also lower the level of Vitamin C in the blood. Having diabetes will also reduce your body’s Vitamin C levels.

What does all this mean? Should I take Vitamin C to lighten my skin?
Yes, yes, and yes! If want to lighten your skin by internal means using supplements, detoxing or changing your diet, Vitamin C supplements are essential.

Dosage
You should take a high dose of 1,000 – 3,000 mg of Vitamin C daily either through supplements or fruits. A mixture of the two is best. Spread out your intake of Vitamin C throughout the day for maximum effectiveness.

References, Clinical Studies and Further Reading:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/b]

Last edited by Golden Girl on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 6 times in total

https://theskinphilosophy.forumotion.net

2How Taking Extra Vitamin C Lightens Skin Empty Hey Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:40 pm

Shanice

Visitor
Visitor
Hey Golden, this is "fallen angel" from askmehelpdesk. I asked u a few questions in PM over there...please post all your answers here..Thanks!

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
Hey Cynbenet/Fallen Angel, glad to have you here and welcome! Sure, will do.

preshus

Quiet Type
Quiet Type
OK I READ somewhere that NAC is the main ingredient in that GLMAX thing that's supposed to be a glutathione booster. Does this mean that I should purchase this NAC & take it as well as the Vit C + water & foods rich in glutathione as part of my daily regimen? How long do you expect to see results 1-3 shades?

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
preshus wrote:OK I READ somewhere that NAC is the main ingredient in that GLMAX thing that's supposed to be a glutathione booster. Does this mean that I should purchase this NAC & take it as well as the Vit C water & foods rich in glutathione as part of my daily regimen? How long do you expect to see results 1-3 shades?

Hi Preshus.
Are you referring to the MAX GXL? Finding another effective NAC supplement that is much cheaper in price would be my suggestion, or purchase the glutathione precurors separately is another option. But yes, Max GXL does contain precursors of gltathione in order to help the body's natural glutathione levels to rise since glutathione pills are mostly ineffective when taken orally since they are poorly absorbed when digested.

NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) though the proper dosage for chances of skin lightening and still being a safe amount of dosage I am unsure and to me is still in theory, as I haven't personally known anyone who lightened from NAC/vitamin C. Although studies have shown that since this since NAC helps to produce more pheomelanin (yellow pigmented color, this type of melanin we want to produce more of) and raise glutathione levels naturally in our bodies. Though extreme high dossage is discouraged, since NAC can be toxic if taken in too high amounts.

Vitamin C with the daily dose being split into 3 smaller dosages during the day will work as a time release and will also assist with long-term lightening.

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
Also eating sulfur-rich foods, drinking plenty of water, good sources of vitamin C and NAC. I say this, because every brand isn't equal. It's best if taking vitamin C, let it be in liquid form, liquid capsule for, or powder form in which you mix the powder with a liquid. The amount of shades reached in a particular time frame varies from person to person, they wil have to be taken for months in order to see results. But, if your also using a topical skin lightener, exfoliating, and definitely sunblock at all times when going outdoors. Then this will help speed up the lightening process as as both will be working synergistically. In other words, you will be working both externally and internally and this combination will give a greater effect.

PorcelainSkin

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
Hi,

Is it really necessary to take the extra Vitamin C or are the products enough? Can you get this Vitamin C in any pharmacy?

Thanks,

PorcelainSkin

yes___I mean no

yes___I mean no
Councilor
Privileged
CouncilorPrivileged
Is it really necessary to take the extra Vitamin C or are the products enough?

i would not say necessary, but you can do it if you want. i take it because it's healthy but you don't really have to.

Can you get this Vitamin C in any pharmacy?

well, you say the word this as if it's something different, it's really not. just regular ohh vitamin c

PorcelainSkin

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
So you obsviously have to use the vitamin C in conjunction with other skin ligtheners otherwise it wont work effectively right? So its just the normal Vitamin C you get at any pharmacy?

yes___I mean no

yes___I mean no
Councilor
Privileged
CouncilorPrivileged
oh yeah vitamin c alone wont lighten

PorcelainSkin

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
Okay, but If I eat enough vitamin c already, then I suppose I don't need it extra, right? I could perhaps just take multi-vitamins containing vitamin c for overall optimum health. would that be fine too? or is the vitamin c in multivitamins in such small quantities that it wont make much of a difference in conjunction with skin lightening products?

yes___I mean no

yes___I mean no
Councilor
Privileged
CouncilorPrivileged
well, i guess i mean...you can just do without it.
with vitamin c just do what you can, it has it's benefits but it's not that important. your goal is obtaining without the use of vitamins

PorcelainSkin

Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
Yes, true.

Thank you so much, much appreciated.

Much love**

yes___I mean no

yes___I mean no
Councilor
Privileged
CouncilorPrivileged
your very welcome Very Happy

braveheartamb

Quiet Type
Quiet Type
i'm a little confused. if we can eat foods that raise our glutathione levels and then supplement out diet with vitamin C in order to achieve some skin lightening progress, why doesn't it follow that i could just take both glutathione and vitamin C supplement to achieve the same goal? is it the form in which the glutathione is reduced in supplement form that renders it ineffective? if so, why would now foods or jarrow foods create glutathione supplements if it cannot be absorbed in the bloodstream? maybe i'm missing something.

and if the answer is 'no, it won't work,' what DOES work then? i've been researching glutathione pills (not bleaching pills, but glutathione supplements), nur76,
kojic acid soaps and on and on. is there a product on the market that
does NOT contain HQ or other harmful chemicals that can rid me of this
hyperpigmentation from acne scarring and lighten my elbows and knees?
what have people had success with?

yes___I mean no

yes___I mean no
Councilor
Privileged
CouncilorPrivileged
Glutathione pills cannot be fully trusted. with everyones antioxidant craze, companies can take advantage of that. and because of the way Glutathione is made you get a lot less then what is on the pill. so i guess it's easer to just eat fruits and vegies.
and i believe Glutathione is made synthetically.

vitamin c and Glutathione work, but it's not worth it to take alone. compared to other vitamins Glutathione is expensive and your have to take a lot. vitamin c works but your skin will do more glowing then lightening, and that lightening is very small. people usually use all that stuff in conjunction with other creams or soaps.
i advise is just eat a healthy diet and you wont have to worry about vitamins at all, any doctor could tell you that.
it seems like you don't like the idea of using HQ, take a look at this, HQ is on the list though

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Very Happy have fun

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
PorcelainSkin wrote:So you obsviously have to use the vitamin C in conjunction with other skin ligtheners otherwise it wont work effectively right? So its just the normal Vitamin C you get at any pharmacy?

It isn't a requirement if your using skin lightening products topically on the skin. But, if your interested in takin vitamin C supplements and willing to invest in the time (as it will take a few months before seeing a difference). Sunblock will have to be used religiously, a good sunblocker against uva/uvb rays. If you use both skin lightening on the skin in conjunction with a quality supplement of vitamin C taken about 2-3x daily, you increase your chances of skin lightening. But, you can lighten without it, this is only optional and I and other members have had success with also lightening without it.

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
yes___I mean no wrote:Glutathione pills cannot be fully trusted. with everyones antioxidant craze, companies can take advantage of that. and because of the way Glutathione is made you get a lot less then what is on the pill. so i guess it's easer to just eat fruits and vegies.
and i believe Glutathione is made synthetically.

vitamin c and Glutathione work, but it's not worth it to take alone. compared to other vitamins Glutathione is expensive and your have to take a lot. vitamin c works but your skin will do more glowing then lightening, and that lightening is very small. people usually use all that stuff in conjunction with other creams or soaps.
i advise is just eat a healthy diet and you wont have to worry about vitamins at all, any doctor could tell you that.
it seems like you don't like the idea of using HQ, take a look at this, HQ is on the list though

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Very Happy have fun

I agree 100%. Investing in glutathione pills is like investing in a broken down car without an engine...lol

dizzellz112

dizzellz112
Valued Contributor
Privileged
Valued ContributorPrivileged
the time released vit c supplements are the best ones..

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
Yes I agree. Which brand are you using or have used that you recommend Dizzellz112?

stushi

Quiet Type
Quiet Type
the sundown natural brand..
natural oyster shell CALCIUM 1000MG (with vitamin D3)..
yes the one that promotes bone and immune health.. can this vitamin c lighten the skin??

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com