The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Skin Philosophy
Welcome to The Skin Philosophy

As a guest you will not be able to view the complete website, including before & after photos, and complete product reviews. Please register in order to gain full access. Once registered, post an intro before posting in the other forums.

- The Skin Philosophy Team
The Skin Philosophy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome To The Skin Philosophy Forum: The Forum For Skin Care and Other Interests To Be Deciphered And To Enlighten

Discover the Philosophy of Skin Care: Exploration of the Nature, Causes, and Principles of Knowledge

Latest topics
» Aloe Vera for Anti - Aging
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 am by vairclair

» Anti-Aging Facial Mask
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 4:21 am by vairclair

» how can I make my stretchmarks go away??
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 3:43 am by Emma3535

» 8 Unhealthy Habits to Kick in 2010
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 am by tisasmith

» New Way To Watch Online Movies
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 2:45 am by shaunpolak

» Essentials Of Skin Care
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:16 am by David147

» skin care tips for beauty skin
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:13 am by David147

» Prevent Skin Aging
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:10 am by David147

» Anyone Tried Pink Grapefruit Facial Scrub?
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:07 am by David147

» Tips for applying mineral makeup with kabuki brush?
Absorption Enhancers Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 am by David147

TSP AFFILIATES

Askusweb.com - Get Free Advice from Experts

Whiterskin.info - Learn how to lighten your skin safely.

Skinverse.com - Home remedies for acne, keloids, scars, melasma, and much more!

All Day Chemist - Indian prescription drug store best resource pharmaceutical sales.

Skinwhite.com - Dark Circles Under Eyes & Skin Whitening Treatments.

Dermacarefla.com- Laser hair removal.

The Conversation Chamber

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Absorption Enhancers Empty Absorption Enhancers Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 am

sara

sara
Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged

Here are a list of absorption enhancers, we have to take into account toxicity level of each item, and how much is safe to get absorbed.

Some of these enhancers can be very irritant to the skin, the ones are been used widely in cosmetics are urea and propylene glycol.

I know there are few websites that promote natural products, posting claims about propylene glycol been unsafe to use but it was found by FDA’s experts, that propylene glycol can be used safely in cosmetics at concentrations up to 50%.''

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Alcohols and glycols
“A variety of solvents have been identified as 'absorption enhancers'. Ethanol, diethylene glycol, propylene glycol, manitol, hexylene glycol, polyoxyethylene glycols, among others, have been shown to increase the cutaneous permeation of inumerous compounds.”
Urea and derivatives
Urea is one of the constituents of what is known as the Natural Moisturizing Factor, shown when combined with propylene glycol to be great enhancer.
Essencial oils, terpenes and derivatives
Approved by FDA to be generally regarded safe. Although not good option for depigemntation.
There are others in the list like acetone which is very irritant to the skin.

2Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 12:52 am

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
I love this post and have just printed it. thanks for this. It's odd how many of these natural skin care companies may claim this is unsafe or that is unsafe..and then turn around offering a more expensive solution. But they fail to mention that at certain percentages and when not abused, these such as propylene glycol can be used quite safely. Ethanol seems to be the most popular form of alcohol used in formulations to help dissolve and a good solvent, how come?

https://theskinphilosophy.forumotion.net

3Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am

sara

sara
Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged

You very welcome GG

Ethanol is polar the higher the polarity the better it is as solvent. Acetone( nail vanish remover) is very polar but can be very harsh on the skin.

Of course there are other factors, otherwise water will do as it is very polar but it will not dissolve mono.

So in order of polarity water comes the highest then acetone which is harsh on skin so not good choice then comes Ethanol up to certain concentrations can be used as good solvent.

4Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 am

allure

allure
Accepted
Privileged
Sara, you are a doll! Thanks. I did some digging recently too and found a few of these skin enhancers. I will be keeping this info handy! I read about the acetone and thought who would ever use that on their skin? I sure wouldn't!

5Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 12:06 pm

sara

sara
Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
allure wrote:Sara, you are a doll! Thanks. I did some digging recently too and found a few of these skin enhancers. I will be keeping this info handy! I read about the acetone and thought who would ever use that on their skin? I sure wouldn't!

There was a forum site promoting skin lightning, use to advice of acetone as solvent. Lol people did use it!

6Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 12:18 pm

allure

allure
Accepted
Privileged
OMG Sara!!! Acetone smells bad and when I get my nails wrapped I want to puke not only that when they soak your nails in acetone, they have to add oils to the fingers. LOL

7Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 12:40 pm

sara

sara
Novice
Privileged
NovicePrivileged
During my research we used acetone like no tomorrow because it is cheap, and can dry anything. We use to wash our glass wear and rinse it with acetone as it absorb water very fast before we put the glass ware in the oven to dry.

We always wore gloves as it is very drying to the skin. I couldn’t believe that people can be that stupid to put nail vanish remover to their face but they did.

8Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 12:59 pm

allure

allure
Accepted
Privileged
Wow Sara, people would do anything huh? I bet there are risk factors associated with using acetone on the skin. Sheesh, I don't want to even think about the itch factor using this with MQ and Ra!

9Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
The smell of acetone alone is so strong. If it has the ability o dissolve hardened nail polish, who know what else it is able to dissolve! Along with killing brain cells if inhaled too much.

10Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 am

allure

allure
Accepted
Privileged
GG I can imagine it melting my darn skin off especially mixing it with other potent substances! Yikes. Nail polish remover should just remain that, remove nail polish. End of story.

11Absorption Enhancers Empty Re: Absorption Enhancers Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Golden Girl

Golden Girl
Administrator
Privileged
allure wrote:GG I can imagine it melting my darn skin off especially mixing it with other potent substances! Yikes. Nail polish remover should just remain that, remove nail polish. End of story.

LOL. yes

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

•  

Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com